Re-Lensing Learning 2
If you are experiencing the lag of yet another government in power, - changes to mandated processes and practice while working to build great learning cultures within your school. You may be experiencing some frustrations and be suffering from a disconnect in the direction and drive of learning in your school. As an established school, you have had best practice in education shift on you so often that there has been a patchwork of PD and there is patchy, non-integrated practice happening. - some are good, and some are not
There are so many options for what and how learning should - could - look, and it becomes somewhat overwhelming.
I wonder if you know the answers - or have had time to ponder the following questions..
- What does good learning look like in your school?
- Which method or design is best for your school and your students?
- How will it look in each classroom across the school when deep and relevant learning is happening?
- What about 21-Century skills and dispositions - How can you bridge the gap between current practice and 21-Century learning practice. - How best build that into your teaching programmes?
- What is your school doing well so should be taken to the next stage of your school's journey?
- What are you doing now that national standards have gone and you perhaps are looking to shift to a competency-based learning environment?
- How well do your staff take the theory of 21-Century learning pedagogies and action them in their classroom?
- How do you build sustainability around pedagogy in your school?
- Where are the learning gaps for your teachers?
Alfriston School is looking to move to deepen learning. To do this, they are implementing new pedagogies for deep learning. The leadership team at the school have recognised the need to identify strengths, and have engaged in a new change dynamic. Not a usual implementation mindset but a process of learning and co-construction of ideas with staff. Change management done in this way results in learning occurring laterally not hierarchically.
It starts with establishing coherence and clarity - developed through common experiences, involving contribution by all members of a School through purposeful interaction.
Step one - Building coherence
Coherence is the shared depth of understanding about the nature of work. Coherence provides an agile, organic framework that helps leaders integrate and strategies a transformational whole system change strategy and offers a pathway to make deeper learning a reality.
In this case, coherence is developed through collective experience, purposeful interactions and the making of the meaning of Alfriston's learning culture. Shared experience, purposeful interactions and collaborative expertise have been enabled, allowing leaders to use the group to change the group. The focused direction and a collaborative culture that has resulted from the coherence process means the school has experienced clarity and purpose. Clarity and purpose that is allowing them to go deeper into their learning culture.
We can find the answers to the questions above We can bring clarity to the journey and teachers and leaders in your schools to make a change and execute next steps to deepen/elevate the learning and engagement of 21-Century learning skills and dispositions in learners.
How well placed is learning in your organisation to enable empowered learning cultures?
If your organisation has a learning culture - who owns it? - it should be everyone!
Until next week - when we will continue with the journey to re-lensing learning - Empower sustainable Learning Cultures.
WHERE TO START
It starts with establishing coherence and clarity - developed through common experiences, involving contribution by all members of a department through purposeful interaction. Working on a common agenda, identifying and consolidating what is working and making meaning over time.
WHAT NEXT - EMPOWER SUSTAINABLE LEARNING CULTURES IN YOUR SCHOOL, FACULTY OR DEPARTMENT
Empower sustainable learning cultures is a program for leadership teams who want support to unpack their schools learning culture.
It is focused on moving your schools learning culture from - told about it to grow it. Together we are able to:
- Bring clarity to the journey for teachers and leaders in your school to make a change
- Execute next steps to deepen/elevate the learning and engagement of 21-Century learning skills and dispositions in learners.
- Excite leading-edge learning, and strengthen your foundations to grow pedagogy and sustain change.
The process requires a minimum of 3 sessions where we work through a process of Discover, Dream and Design for future learning direction.